A slab leak is a water leak that occurs in the piping embedded in the concrete foundation of a home or building. It’s not that common but when a slab leak occurs, it can cause extensive damage to your home.
Most homeowners don’t give much thought to their home’s foundation until there’s a problem. That’s why it’s important to be aware of the signs and rely on slab leak detection services in San Diego, CA for help. Don’t hesitate to call the experts if you suspect you might have this issue.
How do plumbers detect slab leaks?
An important fact about slab leaks is that all homes are at risk of developing one, but those with copper or steel pipes are more susceptible. Slab leaks can occur for a variety of reasons, and some of the most common ones are poor plumbing installation, weak or deteriorating pipes, or soil movement.
Signs of a slab leak
If you notice any of the following signs, even if it’s just one off the list, it’s important to call a plumber right away. The sooner you detect it, the less damage a leaking house foundation pipe will cause.
- Excessive moisture or water pooling on your floor
- Unexplained spikes in your water bill
- The sound of running water when all fixtures are turned off
- Mildew or mold growth
- Warm spots on your floor
- Cracks in your walls, floor, or foundation
- Sudden changes in the temperature of your floors
What methods are used to detect slab leaks?
Once you’ve made the decision to call a plumber, they’ll arrive at your home and assess the situation. If they suspect you have one, they will use the following ways to confirm their suspicions, locate the exact source and determine how serious a slab leak is:
- Hydronic microphone testing: This technique uses an acoustic sound device to amplify the sound of running water so the plumber can pinpoint its location.
- Infrared thermography: This method uses an infrared camera to detect temperature changes in your floors caused by leaks.
How Do Plumbers Fix Slab Leaks?
If plumbers confirm you have a cracked pipe under your house foundation and successfully locate the source, they will use one of these tried methods to repair it:
- Repair clamps: This is typically used for small leaks and involves placing a steel clamp over the pipe to stop the flow of water.
- Epoxy injection: This method is best for leaks that are difficult to access and involves injecting epoxy into the pipe through small holes drilled into the concrete.
- Pipe relining: This is often used for larger leaks and involves inserting a new liner into the existing pipe.
No matter which method is used to repair your slab leak, it’s important to act quickly to minimize damages. Any kind of water damage can progress very fast if left unattended, so both quick detection and an urgent approach to repair are really important.
Who are the best slab leak detection services in San Diego, CA?
If you think you might be dealing with a slab leak, calling professionals is the right next step. Don’t wait until your ground floor looks like the shoreline of Imperial Beach. Water damage can be a serious hazard to your house’s whole structure and to your health.
Rely on industry experts from Risk Free Serv for accurate detection and if needed, repair of a slab leak instead. With a long and successful track record in dealing with any kind of water damage, we guarantee to act quickly to find the best solution to your problem.