Discovering a mold or mildew infestation on your property is one of the most frustrating things that can happen to a home or business-owner. Unfortunately, due to how ubiquitous mold is, there’s a considerable chance you’ll have to deal with a mold problem at least a couple times in your life.
The good news is, calling in San Diego mold remediation technicians is a quick and cost-effective way to address even an advanced mold infestation and prevent it from reappearing in the future.
But how exactly does mold remediation work? Why should you call mold removal experts instead of just removing the mold yourself? What’s included in a typical mold remediation service? Read on to learn the answers to these questions.
Do I really need mold remediation?
If your mold problem is extremely small (eg., you’ve found a few moldy spots on your clothes, or some of the food in your fridge has turned moldy), you may be able to solve it by disposing of the moldy items or even scrubbing the moldy spots off the fabric.
However, if the mold is already growing on your walls, furniture, or floor coverings, there’s a significant possibility that the issue is caused by a more serious problem, such as faulty plumbing, leaky roof, high humidity, and more.
For this reason, property owners are highly advised to have their place examined by a certified mold inspector. By identifying the real cause of the mold infestation, you’ll be able to keep it from coming back and prevent further damages to your belongings.
What is involved with mold remediation?
The goal of a mold remediation is not just to remove visible signs of mold and render any remaining spores dormant and therefore harmless, but also to find and address the source of dampness that has originally enabled the infestation to occur.
Here’s how professional mold removal experts usually do it:
- Step #1: Handle the water problem. Pinpoint and deal with the source of moisture (for example, water damage after a flood), therefore preventing the mold from regrowing in the same area.
- Step #2: Cordon off the affected area. The moldy room or rooms have to be sealed off from the rest of the property to prevent cross-contamination.
- Step #3: Mist the infested area to minimize the amount of dust and mold spores present.
- Step #4: Gather wet or mold-damaged materials, put them in heavy plastic bags, tie the bags closed, and dispose of them.
- Step #5: Cleanup. All moldy surfaces are scrubbed clean using an antimicrobial solution. To keep from damaging them, wooden surfaces and non-porous materials should be scrubbed down with a wire brush and then wiped clean using disposable wipes.
- Step #6: Visually check the cleaned rooms to ensure there are no signs of contamination or debris.
- Step #7: Thoroughly dry the area to remove any lingering moisture. Fans, dehumidifiers, and increased indoor air temperature can all be used to speed up the process.
- Step #8: Replace any items and materials that had to be thrown out.
Where can I book a truly in-depth San Diego mold remediation service?
Whether you’re looking to purchase an office in Harborview, or you suspect you may have a mold problem in your San Diego home, having the right experts in your corner is essential in order to safeguard your health and protect your investment.
That’s where Risk Free Serv comes in. As the top provider of mold, fire, smoke, and water remediation and restoration services, we’re ideally positioned to make sure your property is 100% mold-free. Give us a call and request your free inspection and estimate today.