Electronics & Water Damage

Electronics & Water Damage

Water damage is no joke. It can cause significant structural damage to a property, ruin furniture, and lead to extensive mold and mildew infestations. It can also cause significant damage to electronics and electrical systems, and may even cause an electrical fire to break out.

While booking professional water damage repair as soon as your property in North Park, CA, gets flooded or otherwise suffers water damage is essential, understanding how moisture interacts with electronics can help you protect your costly appliances and gadgets. 

In the article below, we’ll explore this topic and provide you with some time-tested tips on how to deal with this issue. Read on!

Can electronics work after water damage? 

Technically, some electronics can work after water damage. If the contaminants in the water don’t touch the connections, the appliance may survive the moisture. But this is highly unlikely. In most cases, at least some of the water caused by flooding ends up in your electrical system. As a result, the electric current may travel to areas where it doesn’t belong, leading to short circuits and malfunctions.

How can you tell if electronics are water-damaged?

Minimizing water damage is all about being proactive. For instance, you should constantly be on the lookout for mold if you’ve experienced a recent flood. That’s because it can trigger severe health problems in pretty much anyone. Yes, children, too, can suffer from exposure, and the fungus can also have harmful effects on your pets

The proactive approach applies to preventing electrical fires. Here’s how you can tell if your system is water-damaged: 

  • Water spots in LCD or LED screens (usually between individual glass layers), which indicates high humidity and/or direct exposure to water
  • Discolored or rusty switches or electrical outlets 
  • A burning or otherwise strange smell from switches or outlets 
  • Mold inside the fridge, stove, and other appliances, which especially grows if you don’t dry the devices after an incident
  • Circuit breakers that trip often 
  • Sparks from switches or outlets 
  • Visible dampness or pooling near your electronics 
  • Green or white substance on your circuit board caused by corroded connections 
  • Electrical shock upon touching a switch or outlet

If you notice any of these signs, it’s essential to react properly: 

  • Cut off power: Turn off the electricity supply to the switch or outlet to reduce the risk of electrical fires. It prevents any current from traveling to the damaged area, which should make the place safer until help arrives. 
  • Don’t touch the equipment: Before you turn off power or tweak the electrical system otherwise, don’t forget to put on rubber gloves. Touching electronics with bare hands is a disaster waiting to happen. Hiring an electrician is an even better option. 
  • Hire a water damage expert: Whether the system was damaged by a flood or an unknown incident (e.g., plumbing leak), contact a water damage professional to address the source. 
Can electronics work after water damage

Looking for in-depth water damage repair in North Park, CA?

Even the sturdiest of homes are susceptible to electrical water damage. Whether you live near Ray Street Arts District or other North Park areas, your house might be in harm’s way. The only way to avoid extensive problems is to schedule a dependable repair service.

That’s where Risk Free Serv comes in. We are a certified water damage remediation provider that can take care of all your moisture-related problems. Soaked electronics, mold, soaked drywall – you name it. Just give us a call, and we’ll use advanced equipment to eradicate the issue. You can reach out to us 24/7. Book today, and we’ll deliver a comprehensive service.

Share this post