Kids & Mold Everything You Need to Know

Kids & Mold: Everything You Need to Know

As a homeowner, you need to do many things to protect your house and keep it in great shape. But various threats are hard to stop, including moisture and flooding. Left unchecked, they can wreak havoc on your property in North Park, CA, and cause severe mold damage that can endanger the well-being of the entire family. 

Your children are especially at risk, and we’ll tell you why that’s the case in the following article. Read on to learn why mold is harmful to children and how to know if your child has been negatively affected by mold.

How harmful is mold to kids?

It’s no secret that mold isn’t welcome in your place. The reason is simple; it can be extremely dangerous for your children. And your pets can also be in harm’s way, but let’s first see how the fungus can be bad for your young ones:

  • It can cause breathing problems.
  • It can cause headaches.
  • It can cause nausea and vomiting.

In some cases, prolonged exposure can even result in poisoning. The next section will discuss this condition in detail.

How do I know if my child has mold poisoning?

When your child is near mold for too long or exposed to large amounts of mold, they may develop mold poisoning or toxicity. Here are a few signs of this condition:

  • Pain in the stomach, arms, or legs
  • Foggy memory and difficulty focusing
  • Unexplained anxiety
  • Sudden weight loss or gain
  • Numbness or tingling in the arms or legs
  • Dizziness
  • Digestive issues and bloating
  • Heavy fatigue that keeps your child from running or doing other daily activities
  • Mood swings
  • Dehydration
  • Rashes or hair loss

The good news is that mold toxicity rarely affects every child. But if your kid is sensitive, it’s hard to tell how long it’ll take them to develop symptoms. For instance, your little one may show the first signs of poisoning as soon as they come in contact with the spores. That’s especially the case with black mold, which is usually more dangerous than other types of mold.

By contrast, it may take your kid days or weeks to show the first symptoms of poisoning. One thing’s for sure; mold can have an adverse effect on pretty much anyone. However, the conditions worsen if your child belongs to any of the following groups:

  • Their immune system is compromised due to lack of sleep or severe conditions.
  • Your house is poorly ventilated and has moisture issues.
  • They have chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) or asthma.
  • Allergies run in the family.
How harmful is mold to kids

Where in North Park, CA, can I find a team that specializes in mold damage?

North Park is a fabulous place to live in, but even the sturdiest home in this area is prone to mold. Left uncontested, the fungus can make your home unsafe for your kids. That’s why you should act fast as soon as you notice the first signs of an ongoing infestation. More specifically, reach out to Risk Free Serv.

What makes us the finest provider in the area is our in-depth services and attention to detail. We leave no stone unturned in our efforts to eradicate mold from your property. Plus, we respond fast to your call to ensure you and your kids are out of the woods quickly.

This way, you won’t have to worry about all those pesky health problems that stop you from enjoying everything North Park has to offer. Reach out to us today and let us take care of your mold-related troubles. We’ll reduce the risk of fires and other perils to make your home healthier and safer.

Share this post