What are some common signs of mold exposure in the workplace

A Guide to Identifying Mold in the Workplace

Mold is a fungus that thrives in moist, humid environments and it’s a common problem in the workplace. Mold can be found anywhere from carpets to walls, and it can lead to serious health problems if an individual is exposed for too long.  One of the easiest ways to solve your problem with mold is to seek the help of a professional commercial mold damage remediation service in San Diego.

However, in order to promptly contact professionals you need to be aware of all the common signs and symptoms that may indicate mold exposure and take action!In this article, we will discuss some of the most common signs of mold exposure in the workplace as well as what you should do about them.

What are some common signs of mold exposure in the workplace?

Mold begins to grow where it is moist – usually on surfaces that are cool and dark, such as carpets or walls. 

Here are some signs that might indicate a mold infestation:

  • Indoor plants – If you overwater the plants, mold can start to form on leaves and roots due to excess moisture.
  • Water stains on the ceiling or walls – If you have water leaks in your building, it’s important to find and fix them right away before mold has a chance to begin growing.
  • Musty odor – You might notice an unpleasant smell throughout the office space due to excess humidity which can lead to mold growth.

Health signs

Your employees may not be aware of the signs and symptoms associated with mold exposure. If you suspect that your work environment has a high level of indoor air pollutants, then it is important for you and your employees to know what to do if there is mold in your workspace.

There are few different medical signs and symptoms associated with mold exposure, such as: 

  • A scratchy throat, runny nose, and itchy eyes are all some common symptoms of mold exposure. This is because these allergens can trigger an inflammatory response in the body.
  • Persistent coughing and chest tightness may also be signs that you have been exposed to high levels of indoor air pollutants such as mold spores. It’s important to seek medical attention immediately and going to a local emergency room for treatment.
  • Skin rash and irritation is another common sign of mold exposure. This includes a rash that starts to develop on different parts of the body, such as the face or hands. In some cases, the rash can grow in size and become very large. This could lead to intense itching which will result in an even larger area covered by the skin lesion. 

It is not recommended to work in a building with mold and if you suspect you have been exposed to high levels of mold then you should react in a timely manner. We recommend washing your clothes immediately after wearing them while at work and taking off any protective gear (i.e., masks) before going home. This way your family members will not be affected by possible contamination carried back with you from the workplace environment. 

Where can I find a reliable commercial mold damage remediation service in San Diego?

Mold can appear in any office regardless of whether it’s located near Balboa Park or in Downtown San Diego. Since it’s difficult to control, it’s best to prevent the development of mold in the work environment. It occurs slowly and toxins from mold can remain in your property for months. Mold infestations, if not dealt with promptly, may result in significant property damages, poor indoor air quality, and decreased health.

Risk Free Serv is a locally owned and operated remediation company that specializes in mold, water, fire and smoke restoration. We have the experience and equipment necessary for any type of damage to be fixed quickly! Call us today!

Share this post

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on email