Mold in commercial buildings significantly increases the risk of respiratory problems among the occupants and may also cause costly damages to the property itself. While calling in a commercial mold damage remediation company in San Diego is an effective way to solve this problem if it occurs, it’s still better to prevent mold growth in the first place.
In the following article, we’ll help you do just that by providing some time-tested tips for keeping mold out of your company’s premises. Read on to learn more.
How do you prevent mold in the workplace?
Mold in a building can be extremely unhealthy. The most important aspect of mold control is moisture control. You should act swiftly when water leaks or spills indoors. Immediately clean up any water that has already entered the property. Mold will not thrive if you respond promptly (within 48 hours) and thoroughly clean, dry, or remove water-damaged materials.
Here are some mold prevention tips for businesses:
- Maintain a clean environment. Ensure work surfaces are regularly cleaned and sanitized. Make sure any spills are quickly cleaned up, and pay special care to items such as carpets and upholstery.
- Create a regular maintenance plan for your building with thorough inspections of cracks under walls, around doorways, windowsills and other dark recesses where moisture may accumulate unnoticed. Make sure your roof and insulation are inspected regularly for leaks and problems related to faulty weatherization.
- Keep humidity levels below 70% (between 40% and 60%, if possible).
- If you see condensation on the walls or other surfaces, have your premises checked by qualified experts.
- Increase ventilation by opening windows or using fans to promote airflow. Install a ventilation system to remove musty air from bathrooms and kitchens.
- Use dehumidifiers when the air feels too damp. Use an air-conditioner to control the humidity in the office.
- Use antifungal sprays to prevent or reduce the presence of mold in your workplace.
- Use antibacterial cleaners on all surfaces, which will kill most bacteria and fungi that can cause a mold problem.
- Keep storage areas dry and free of clutter so that moisture cannot linger there undetected, as this can promote mold growth and runs the risk of damaging your assets.
Last but not least, you should consider wearing a face mask or respirator if mold is present and the air quality of your workspace has been compromised. These are also effective against airborne irritants such as dust mites and pollen which can contribute to respiratory problems like asthma and hay fever.
Where can I book a commercial mold damage remediation company in San Diego?
Even if a workplace appears to be in excellent shape, there’s always the risk that damaged pipes, higher humidity, or past flooding may turn it into an ideal breeding ground for all types of unhealthy molds.
If you notice the usual signs of mold in the workplace and wonder what to do if your work environment gets moldy, don’t hesitate to reach out to Risk Free Serv. We have the tools, the expertise, and the strong work ethic necessary to remove all types of mold, water, fire and smoke damage from your commercial or residential property. It goes without saying that our services are available throughout San Diego. You can count on us to help you out regardless of whether you’re located in Kearny Mesa or at the very heart of the city. Simply call our 24/7 emergency line and we’ll promptly dispatch a team to your location. Reach out to us today.