Mold is a fungus that grows in moist environments such as basements, crawlspaces, and buildings. Mold spores are microscopic and float through the air. They may enter your workplace if you have an open door or window, or they may be tracked inside on people’s shoes. If you see mold growing in a building it must be removed by one of the professional commercial mold damage remediation services in San Diego, CA.
However, you should also know what other action to take if you see signs of mold at your workplace. Let’s discuss what to do if you notice the presence of mold in your workplace.
What to do if there is mold in your workplace?
If you’ve discovered mold at your workplace, it’s important to remember not to panic. Mold can be easily remediated by a professional who has the experience and equipment needed for larger jobs.
- Safety guidelines: The goal of removing hazardous mold should always be complete removal with no visible residue left behind. According to OSHA guidelines, employees must have appropriate personal protective equipment available at all times during cleanup efforts.
This includes long pants, closed-toe shoes, gloves made from materials that are resistant to fungal growths (such as neoprene rubber or nitrile rubber) along with impervious boots or coverings over street shoes when entering areas where exposure may occur.
If the mold is growing on a surface, it should be removed with commercial-grade disinfectant cleaners and HEPA filtered air scrubbers. If the mold has grown into porous materials such as drywall or carpeting then those items need to be completely replaced after they have been cleaned.
- Important precautions: In addition to following OSHA guidelines for workplace safety during remediation efforts, there are many other precautions that must also take place before you begin any type of cleanup process.
- Electrical equipment: You have to turn off all electrical outlets and light switches in areas where professional cleaning will occur. Moisture can conduct electricity which leads to dangerous conditions if anyone enters the area while this work is being done. In order for dust particles not to become airborne from heavy equipment used inside building interiors, all doors and windows should be closed.
- Air machines: If negative air machines are running at all times, place an inch or two of aggregate rock on top of flooring materials with mold so that it can’t become airborne during the cleanup process.
- HEPA filters: It’s also important to have special HEPA filtered exhaust units connected to the building’s HVAC system or furnace return duct. Otherwise, microscopic spores may settle deep inside your building’s insulation material otherwise.
- Type of mold: If the mold is a species of Penicillium, Aspergillus, Cladosporium or other types then you need to take the same precautions when removing all porous materials and closing off rooms while HEPA scrubbers run 24 hours a day for at least two weeks.
- Additional considerations: When working on any type of building remediation project it’s important to know there may be hidden pockets of moisture that can’t easily be seen by visual inspection alone.
This means that after these areas have been cleaned they must also become completely encapsulated using products that create a chemical reaction within those porous areas to stop any future mold growth from taking place.
In addition, there is equipment for remediation efforts such as thermal imaging cameras and near-infrared lighting with special filters designed to detect potential moisture issues inside building interiors. That way experts will know and be ready to act before fungus becomes fully embedded in wallboard materials.
If you notice any usual signs that you have been exposed to mold and you don’t know what type of mold is growing on your property – it’s always best to hire experienced professionals.
Where can I book some of the professional commercial mold damage remediation services in San Diego, CA?
It is best to prevent the appearance of mold in the workplace, but if it is too late, you must know that there are certain effects that occur after exposure to mold at work. Whether your office is in Harborview or somewhere else, having the right professionals in your neighborhood is essential in order to protect your health and your investment.
That’s where Risk Free Serv comes in. We are the top provider of mold, fire and water remediation, as well as restoration services. We’re ideally positioned to make sure your property is 100% mold-free. Request your free inspection and estimation today! Give us a call now!